University Communications
Event Strategy and Management

Service Providers

Brown’s on-campus service providers are integral to planning a successful event. Engage them early and often in your planning.

Service providers across Brown should be considered your essential partners — they share their expertise and provide the necessary services to make your event complete.


Most events on campus require a space reservation in 25Live, while some campus spaces are managed separately and must be reserved directly through the hosting department. If a space is in 25Live, you will need to authenticate into the program, and follow instructions on the dashboard to reserve your event space(s).

Reservations are also required for outdoor spaces. For outdoor events, remember to have a rain location and/or storm plan.

Event Setup

All events using any Brown campus space must submit a Planon order to Facilities Management to request custodial or setup services, rental furniture and linens, and any other facilities-related services, such as temperature control or repairs. Training is available if Planon is new to you, and can be accessed once you log in to the system.

Any time an event requires a specific setup, a diagram is required. If you do not have a blank floor plan to populate, please request one from To learn more about fees and labor rates, please visit the Event Operations website.

Audio Visual Equipment

For media equipment in most spaces, please contact Media Services to electronically reserve installed equipment and staff support at least ten (10) calendar days in advance of your event. A $150 rush processing fee may be assessed for reservations received with less than ten (10) calendar days advance notice.


If you plan to have food and drink at your event, you must submit a Catering request via Catertrax. Be sure to request options for different dietary restrictions, such as vegan, vegetarian, gluten-free and kosher.

Your department also has the option of ordering food and beverages from approved third-party caterers, by utilizing America to Go. This service, which is accessed via the Brown Buys program in Workday, offers a diverse selection of local vendors and offers 24/7 customer service. There are several job aids in Workday to help you get started with America to Go.

Reach out directly to America To Go with further questions, or contact Brown Dining Services.

Safety and Security

It is important to think of public safety when planning an event. Do you have a highly prominent or famous speaker or guest? Will you need special access to a particular building? Are you concerned about protests? Reach out to the Department of Public Service (DPS) and let them know about your event so that they can plan accordingly.

Complete a Fire Safety checklist if you are expecting more than 50 people. This ensures compliance with Rhode Island Uniform Fire Code requirements. You must have your event reviewed by DPS if you expect more than 100 people. Larger events require consideration of guest safety in the event of an emergency.

If you expect more than 300 people, you will need to have your event reviewed by the Fire Safety Office. State law requires that any event of 300 or more be reviewed for potential assignment of a fire marshal.

Parking and Transportation

With limited parking on campus, consider any parking needs your event may have. Be sure to work with the Parking Office to develop a plan for parking, shuttles and other related needs.

Accessibility Services

When planning your event, be sure to select an accessible space and have a plan for managing accessibility requests. The Event Accessibility page for Student Accessibility Services is a great tool to ensure accessibility for students attending your event. For employees, visit the Employee Accommodation Services page on the University Human Resources website. Please note that requests for sign language interpreters or captioning can take a week or longer to arrange.

Event Promotion and Communications

If you require marketing or other communications-related services, be sure to submit a request through the Office of University Communications with as much lead time as possible so that their team can consult with you on your marketing and communications plans.


Brown University requires proof of general liability insurance to cover non-university events held in Brown facilities for meetings, conferences, sports camps/clinics, weddings or other special functions or events. In some cases, insurance may be required for University events. For more information, visit the web page for the Office of Insurance and Purchasing Services.